Digi-locker is a digital locker cloud based service started by the government of India to move towards a paperless and green governance system. It is a cloud based service where citizens can store their important documents and can also receive them from their issuers in digital format. It eliminates the use of physical documents the documents issued can be easily verified with the given QR code.
Indian citizens signing up for this service get a dedicated 1GB cloud storage. The account can also be linked to Aadhar to make certain tasks easier. Organizations registered with Digi-Locker can push the soft copies of documents and certificates directly into the citizens’ locker where the latter can access it any time. The issued documents and certificates are generally electronically signed using the eSign facility.
- Citizens have easy access to their documents anytime,anywhere and they can share them online. This saves much of their time and energy.
- It reduces the use of paper, thus supporting and implementing greener governance.
- The documents can not be manipulated as they are directly issued by the issuers, digitally signed and some of them have a QR code for verification.
- It provides the facility to upload documents in our locker and eSign them.
- Issuer- The entity or organization issuing the e-documents is referred to as Issuer. Some of these are- CBSE, Income Tax department, Registrar office etc.
- Citizens or Resident: Documents are issued by the issuer to the citizens. They can access and store their documents using Digi-Locker. These documents are referred to as “Issued documents” and “Uploaded documents” when one acceses the locker.
- Uploaded Documents: The documents uploaded by the resident/citizen to Digilocker for future use are called as Issued documents.
- Issued Documents: These are the ones issued to the resident’s digilocker by a registered issuer as according to their Aadhar no. in the issuer’s database and that registered with digilocker. The issuer pushes the URI(Uniform Resource Indicator) of the e-documents which can be opened by the resident and shared to the requester.
- Requester- Requester is that organisation(bank,telecoms etc) or a government department that requires documentation or offers services to citizens. In order to provide a certain service that particular organization needs to verify the identity, age and nationality of the person to whom it is issuing its services. The requseter can request for the required documents digitally and accept them through digicker, thus eliminating the need of physical verification and rounds to their offices.
You need to verify your mobile no. using otp. Then you have to choose a username and password. Afterwards you can voluntarily link your aadhar with your digilocker.
- Username and password- Once you register with digilocker, you have your username and password. You can easily login with these credentials.
- Aadhar: If you have connected your locker with your aadhar, you can eneter your aadhar number and use it as an alternative to sign in. After you enter your aadhar no. it will show up two options for verification-otp to mobile no. registered with aadhar or fingerprint. Choose which suits you. You are logged in once you pass the security check.
- Social media: You can connect your digilocker with GOOGLE and FACEBOOK, and use it as the most easiset alternative to access your locker. You dont need to rememeber one more set of username and password in this case.
After you sign in-
A mobile app is also available for Android phone users on Google Playstore. You can download it here. Download size-19.37MB