‘How are you?’ The most common question one asks!
The most common answer to the question goes, ‘I’m well!’
But is this what the truth is?
You might be thinking it is but the fact is that we aren’t!
According to the latest UN World Happiness Report, Indians acquire a quite low ranking in terms of happiness.
The World Happiness Report is a measure of happiness published by the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network.
The survey was conducted on 6 parameters- real GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make choices, generosity and perception of corruption.
The report was out on March 21, 2017 on the occasion of International Day of Happiness.
The survey was conducted among 155 nations and we stand at 122. Moreover in the past four years, instead of making progress, we are facing downfalls in the index. In 2013, we were on 111th position. The survey was not conducted in the year 2014. In 2015, we saw a downfall of 6 at 117 and in 2016 another downfall of 1 at 118.
Moreover, our neighboring countries are more happier than us and as a matter of fact some of them have got a better ranking as compared to previous reports. While the China stands at 79, and Pakistan is just next to it at 80. Bhutan and Nepal are at 97 and 99 respectively. Bangladesh is far from them at 110. Near to us is Sri Lanka at 120, happier than us. Comparing to 2016 reports, Bangladesh has retained its position this year while Nepal has made a jump of 8 from 107 in 2016. Even Pakistan has improved its lot by directly switching from 92 to 80.
Syria, Tanzania, Burundi and Central African Republic are the most unhappiest countries with their ranks 152, 153, 154 and 155 respectively.
The five most happiest countries are Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland with their ranks from 1 to 5 in the said order.
But what is it that is making us sad day by day? Why are we becoming more sad with each day passing? Why are we depressed? Let’s discuss this in the comments section. We would be glad to hear from you.
No matter what the possible reasons could be but what remains the most important is that how to avoid sadness and bring in happiness. A few ways are listed below:
- Just after waking up from sleep, stare at a yellow object for a few minutes, then close your eyes tightly for a few seconds, rub your hands and put them on your eyes and slowly open the them. It will keep you happier throughout the day, a this color denotes happiness and charm.
- To lighten your mood, try staring at green grass or plants, or moving objects like cars. This stimulates the mind for happiness.
- Try doing things that you love.
- At your workplace and home, keep the photos of the people who are close to your heart.
- Try spending time with your loved ones.
- Laugh for sometime, no matter if you don’t encounter a funny situation. You have a reason to laugh- you and your health.
- Help somebody, bring a smile on somebody else’s face and you will find yourself more happier.
So can I expect India to be at a better position than this year?
Be happy and bring the change-not for the ranks but for you.