Finally BJP has announced Yogi Adityanath as the Chief Minister of UP. The week-long suspense over who will be the next chief minister of Uttar Pradesh is finally over. Now, he is the 32nd Chief Minister of UP.
The new chief minister and his new cabinet will take oath on Sunday (i.e 19/03/17).
Adityanath has been one of the star campaigners for the BJP in the run-up to this Assembly election. Though, BJP was much confused between Manoj Sinha and Adityanath Yogi as to whom should be the next CM of UP. But RSS reportedly wasn’t too happy with Sinha as the CM candidate. Sinha was reportedly the original choice for CM and was backed by PM Narendra Modi and BJP President Amit Shah. Now Finally, Yogi Adityanath is the CM of Uttar Pradesh.
Here are 12 things you must know about the Yogi Adityanath as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- Mahant Yogi Adityanath was Born on 5 June 1972. And his mother land is Panchu, Pauri Garwal, Uttarakhand.
2. Adityanath Yogi was the Youngest member of 12th Lok Sabh in 1998 from Gorakhpur at the age of only 26.
3. The 44-Year old Adityanath has been elected as an MP from Gorakhpur to the Lok Sabh in 1998, 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2014.
4. Adityanath’s original name is Ajay Singh Bisht. He completed his Bachelor’s Degree (B.Sc.) in Science from HNB Garhwal University, Srinagar (Garhwal), Uttarakhand.
5. Adityanath sometimes has had strained relationship with the BJP for more than a decade and has rebelled against his party on several occasions.
6. Adityanath is also the priest of The Gorakhnath temple in eastern UP. Also he founded the Hindu Yuva Vahini (HYV) in 2002.
7. Adityanath was appointed as the head priest of the Gorakhnath Mutt following the death of his spiritual ‘father’, Mahant Avaidyanath in September 2014.
8. Adityanath has never shied away from making controversial remarks, be it about Islam or Pakistan. Right from comparing Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan to Pakistani terrorist Hafiz Saeed during the intolerance debate in 2015 to asking people to leave India if they don’t practice the Surya Namaskar.
9. Adityanath has been charged in past with attempt to Murder,rioting armed with Deadly weapons, endagering life or personal safety of others and criminal intimidation.
10. Adityanath was also arrested in the 2007 Gorakhpur riots. In the riots, a Hindu boy was killed after a mob opened fire on a Muslim procession. After this, Adityanath had allegedly vowed to deliver ‘justice’ to Hindus and announced a “Shraddhanjali Sabha” (homage meeting) as well as a torchlight procession.
11. With his apointment as Uttar Pradesh CM, Adityanath joined the famous league of BJP’s bachelor CMs – Trivendra Rawat (Uttarakhand), ML Khattar (Haryana), Sarbananda Sonowal (Assam).
12. The choice of the 44-year-old firebrand leader as CM implies that the Ram Mandir promise is a clear and present priority for the ruling party.